This print-to-screen course gives the fundamentals of screenwriting to novelists, short story fiction writers, playwrights and others wishing to adapt their stories to the screen. We start with the building blocks of visual story telling, from creating loglines to shaping characters and giving the story dramatic form and structure.
We will also do some writing exercises to get participants to break away from novel-style in-the-character’s-head type writing, to writing scenes which the audience can see and hear.
- Pitching the Story
- Loglines, Synopsis, Treatments to interest producers
- Dramatic 3-Act Structure
- Aristotle’s Unity of Action
- Beginning, Middle and End (Linear and Non Linear)
- Developing Characters: Social, Physiology, Psychology, Motivation, Character Flaws, Character Development Exercise
- Main Story Elements
- Inciting incident, foreshadowing and payoff, crisis, resolution, denouement
- Writing sluglines
- Locations and Props
- Difference between writing a theatre play, a tv script, a short film script, a feature film script
- Silent Scene Writing Exercise
- Refining the Pitch
- Main Story Elements Part 2: Location and Prop Writing Exercise, Using Sound, Writing Visually
- Action Descriptions: Making us see the film, feel with the characters
- Dialogue Writing Exercise
- Screenwriting Format
- Collaborative Writing
About the Trainer:
Minimum – Maximum Number of Participants: 10 – 25 pax
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis and workshop fees must be paid before the workshop. If the minimum number of participants is not met for the class, the organisers will inform all participants about possible postponement and cancellation, two weeks before the workshop date.
Cancellation & Substitution
The workshop can be cancelled or postponed two weeks before the workshop date if the minimum number of participants is not met. Participants will be fully refunded for workshops cancelled by us.
Participants who are unable to attend a workshop they have registered for are to inform us of the reason two weeks before the workshop date. They will be fully refunded in the event of extenuating and mitigating circumstances (E.g. illness, bereavement, accidents) . Those who inform us up to five (5) working days before the workshop date will receive a 50% refund. Participants can also attend another course at the same value within the same year.
Upon registration, you are deemed to have read and understood the cancellation, withdrawal and substitution policy and accept the terms contained therein.